I want to set up a VirtualHost on my laptop so that I can start working on a website that
I am working on.
Website client : mr.X
web address(URL): http://www.mrx.org
web server: Apache_HTTP_Server
Scripting Engine : PHP
- The main focus here is to set up the web server to serve the website for mr. X.
- The website using http://www.mrx.org
Assumptions and considerations
- All the VirtualHost configuration mentioned here are found in the Apache manual page
- I assume that you have already installed Apache web server and scripting engine.
- You are using a GNU/Linux System especially Debian derivatives. If you don’t know what
I am talking about now. Please wait for a little while till I publish one or Google them up.
- All the website data is located under /var/sites/www.mrx.orgNOTE
- I always follow this directory layout where all the sites are stored under /var/sites/ and individual sites will be named in the same way as their DNS i.e, http://www.mrx.org will be stored as follows /var/sites/www.mrx.org
Actual VirtualHost configuration
Filename : /etc/apache2/sites-available/www.mrx.org
<VirtualHost *:80> # Address of the server ServerName www.mrx.org # Email address for the web master ServerAdmin email@example.com # Where the website data is located DocumentRoot /var/sites/www.mrx.org # Specify permissions on who can access this site <Directory /var/sites/www.mrx.org > Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride None Order allow,deny Allow from all </Directory > </VirtualHost>
Now save the file http://www.mrx.org under /etc/apache2/sites-available/ and execute the following.
$ sudo mkdir -p /var/sites
$ sudo mkdir -p /var/sites/www.mrx.org
$ sudo a2ensite http://www.mrx.org
$ sudo service apache2 restart
Now open your hosts file found in /etc/hosts and enter the following details and save it.
# this is a default content of the file /etc/hosts # DO NOT DELETE THE FOLLOWING ENTRY! 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain #Instead add your entries below # Add entry for www.mrx.org this will be used as a DNS 127.0.0.1 www.mrx.org
Now you can access your web-site as http://www.mrx.org